- 904L STAINLESS STEEL CASE WITH EXCEPTIONAL ATTENTION TO FINISH
- 40MM (DIAMETER) X 40.4MM (FROM WHERE THE LUGS START SLOPPING DOWN) / 47MM (FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE LUGS)(LUG TO LUG)
- 9.4MM THICKNESS
- DOUBLE-DOMED SAPPHIRE CRYSTAL WITH 5 LAYERS AR COATING
- DEEPLY EMBOSSED SEMI-DISPLAY CASEBACK WITH SAPPHIRE GLASS AND 5 LAYERS AR COATING
- SCREW DOWN CROWN
- CUSTOMISED 32 JEWELS EXTRA THIN DANDONG AUTOMATIC MOVEMENT. ADJUSTED IN 5 POSITIONS AND TO HEAT AND COLD.
- TUNGSTENE ROTOR WITH CIRCULAR CÔTES DE GENÈVE AND BLACK RHODIUM PLATING
- HANDMADE GUILLOCHÉ DIAL USING A ROSE ENGINE BY CHINA’S SOLE GUILLOCHÉ MASTER CRAFTSMAN
- HAND-BENT RHODIUM-PLATED (HEAT-BLUED FOR THEY GREY DIAL) HANDS WITH SUPERLUMINOVA BGW9 X1 LUME
- APPLIED RHODIUM-PLATED INDEXES
- 904L STAINLESS BRACELET WITH EXCEPTIONAL ATTENTION TO FINISH. QUICK-RELEASE SPRING BARS
- ON-THE-FLY MICRO ADJUSTMENT BUCKLE
ATELIER WEN PERCEPTION: AN EXCEPTIONAL STEEL SPORT CHIC WATCH INSPIRED BY CHINESE ARCHITECTURE
Inspired by traditional Chinese architecture, Perception features hand-made guilloché dials by the sole guilloché master craftsman of China, 904L steel case and bracelet with spectacular attention to finish and a customised extra thin automatic movement. The striking contrast between the dial depth and the case thinness leads to an almost surreal vertigo feeling, defying physical perceptions.
Production will be limited on an annual basis to the amount of time necessary to handcraft one dial.
A TRULY EXTRAORDINARY MÉTIER D’ART DIAL
The dial of Perception is true hand-made guilloché, crafted using a rose engine by the only guilloché master artisan in the whole of China and Asia, Master Cheng. It takes him 8 hours to manufacture just one dial. Guilloché is a true métier d’art, mastered by less than 30 craftsmen in the world. Operating a rose engine necessitates an enormous amount of skill and at the slightest mistake, the dial will become scrap and Cheng will need to start again.
The dial has a Sunmao construction, a structuring approach which was used in ancient Chinese architecture and which consists in buildings created without a nail or glue through mortise and tenon. The whole of Perception’s dial follows this principle: on a first copper base sit two additional layers, which are guillochéd. In those are 12 cutouts that are for the raised indexes which neatly nest into them. Each index has a mortice which is designed to receive an elevated chapter ring which then locks in the indexes.
The hands and indexes are rhodium-plated. The hands are leaf-shaped, in keeping with what was one of Porcelain Odyssey’s defining design features. They have been beefed up in order to be aligned with the watch’s sporty character.
9.4MM THICK 904L STAINLESS STEEL CASE WITH SPECTACULAR ATTENTION TO FINISH
The case is made of 904L stainless steel and its shape is a reflection of different Chinese architectural characteristics. Its sides are inspired by the curved silhouettes of Chinese pagodas, while the top of the lugs also feature gently curved angles reminiscent of roof structures.
Spectacular attention to finish has been paid with sharp angles and contrasting surface treatments. Care has been applied to make the horizontal and vertical brushing particularly noticeable, almost clashing with mirror-like polished areas. The fact that 904L has been used make them even shinier and amplify this visual impression.
The case is extremely thin: just 9.4mm thick, including caseback and crystal and thanks to its layered construction, it wears even thinner. Despite this, the watch is water-resistant to 10 ATM, meaning that you can engage in pretty much any nautical activity with it.
It features a thick double-domed sapphire crystal with 5 layers of anti-reflective coating, ensuring perfect transparency and readability.
A ONE-OF-A-KIND 904L STAINLESS STEEL BRACELET WITH GREAT ATTENTION TO FINISH AND ONE OF THE BEST CLASPS EVER
The bracelet is also crafted in 904L stainless steel and its central links feature the same hexagonal shapes found throughout many elements of Chinese architecture including pagodas and windows. The same spectacular attention to finish has been paid with a strong vertical brushing throughout and sharp, mirror-like chamfers on the edges. The tightness between the links gives the illusion of a continuous piece of metal and the sharp chamfers immediately capture sight and are akin to a dynamic path instantly leading to the case and dial.
The bracelet features quick-release spring bars, and is complemented by a fully custom clasp with an on-the-fly micro-adjustment mechanism. Made of no less than 25 parts, it is operated through a large, central push button. It is extremely sleek, intuitive and satisfying to use: all is needed to do is to push the large button to either loosen or tighten the fit. You don’t even need to remove the watch from your wrist.
A MEANINGFUL SEMI-DISPLAY CASEBACK
Perception has a semi-display caseback which allows for movement viewing while still having a nice, deeply embossed figure.
It depicts a 石狮子 or Shishi which is a stone guardian lion that you can find at the entrance of most temples and major old buildings. It was meaningful for us because the whole series is inspired by traditional Chinese architecture, and those guardian lions are an important aspect of it. The actual figure we display has been conceptualised by Liu Yuguan using cloud-like strokes, in keeping the somewhat surreal character we want the watch to convey.
When the rotor is aligned with the window, it almost looks like the lion is laughing, which contrats quite starkly with the sobriety and almost brutalist character of the rest of the watch. This is very much aligned with the series' ethos as we intended it to be a watch that can convey a wide pallet of emotions, that can be seen and understood from many different angles, and, therefore where everything is a matter of perception (hence the name).
A HIGH-END EXTRA THIN AUTOMATIC MOVEMENT
The movement in Perception is a customised extra thin Dandong movement based on their new SL1 architecture. It is known under the reference SL1588. We are currently working on removing the ghost position (very likely) and adding a hacking mechanism (possible) for the production models.
Modifications include a slightly, slightly slimmer profile, extra accuracy (it leaves the factory at +/- 10s/d whereas Peacock movements usually leave at +25/-15s/d) and a longer power reserve (c. 41 hours vs c. 38 hours for the range).
缥 (PIAO): AN ETHEREAL, MISTY BLUE
缥 (Piao) denotes a blue that is ethereal, silky and misty. It does not have a fixed appearance, and is meant to change based on environment and lighting, which is indeed the case with Perception. It is reminiscent of vague images and sceneries, such as the looming appearance of distant mountains or the almost nostalgic beauty of a river waking up at the dawn of spring, fuelled by melting snow. It is hazy, elusive and hard to describe. Blue waves flowing peacefully to a distant place where the water and the sky meet.
The colour was explored in Wu Jun’s famous “Letter to Zhu Yuansi” essay where the Liang dynasty poet, historian and official presents to his friend Zhu Yuansi a charming picture of the landscape around the Fuyang River, in today’s Zhejiang province.
影 (YING): AN ELUSIVE, INTANGIBLE GREY
影 (Ying) denotes the colour of shadows and reflections. While we are all familiar with these concepts, their colours are hard to describe and almost intangible. They vary in shades based on environment and lighting, ranging from almost black to a warm, burnt espresso colour. It can also allude to the concepts of insinuation, fuzz and impressions. What those all have in common is their elusive, almost magical realist character.
影 (Ying) comes with heat-blued hands in order to enhance the dial dynamism.
霞 (XIA): A BURNING COPPER
霞 (Xia) denotes the colour of the sky at sunset. Also known as “afterglow”, it refers to colourful bright and golden red clouds appearing just after sunset and caused by the scattering of fine dust particles suspended in the high atmosphere. Ranging from light purple to deep, vivid red, it conveys the impression of a burning sky. The phenomenon is mentioned in Yuan You, a short story in the Songs of Chu (dating back to the Warring States period) where it is referred to as an elusive place floating above the clouds where one is able to find its soul.
- 904L stainless steel case with exceptional attention to finish, alternating between brushed and polished surfaces
- 40mm diameter (excl. crown)
- 9.4mm thickness
- Thick double domed sapphire crystal with 5 layers of AR coating
- Deeply embossed semi-display caseback with sapphire glass and 5 layers of AR coating
- Screw-down crown
- 10ATM water resistance
- Customised extra thin Dandong automatic movement
- 3.3mm thickness
- 28,800 BPH
- c. 41 hours power reserve
- 32 jewels
- Adjusted in 5 positions and to heat and cold
- Decorated with côtes de Genève, perlage and light bevelling on the bridges
- Tungstene rotor with circular côtes and black rhodium plating
- 3 colours available: Grey, salmon and ice blue.
- Handmade guilloche dial using a rose engine by the sole guilloche master craftsman of the whole of China and Asia, Master Cheng. He needs 8 hours to do one dial. He made his own rose engine all by himself, without any outside help or technical drawings of existing rose engines. He holds a patent for his rose engine.
- Unique “Sunmao” dial structure with 4 height levels, creating a strong sense of volume, completing the visual depth of the guilloché pattern.
- Rhodium-plated hand-bent hands - heat-blued ones for the grey model
- Superluminova X1 lume on the hands
- Superluminova X1 printed huiwen pattern on the minute ring
- Applied indexes. Rhodium plated.
- 904L bracelet with exceptional attention to finish, alternating between brushed and polished surfaces
- On-the-fly micro-adjustment buckle